10 Fair Trade Products to Look For:
- Olive Oil
5 Things You Should Always Buy Green
- Paint - Look for: low or, ideally, no-VOC paint.
- Paper - Look for: paper products with a high post-consumer recycled content.
- Light Bulbs - Look for: compact fluorescents.
- Appliances - Look for: appliances with the Energy Star label.
- Fruits and Vegetables - Look for: organic, local, in-season produce. Most important to buy organic to avoid pesticide residue:
Apples, Bell Peppers, Celery, Cherries, Imported Grapes, Nectarines, Peaches, Pears, Potatoes, Raspberries, Spinach and Strawberries.
10 Things You Should NEVER BUY AGAIN:
- Styrofoam cups
- Paper towels
- Bleached coffee filters
- Teak and mahogany
- Chemical pesticides and herbicides
- Conventional household cleaners
- Toys made with PVC plastic
- Plastic forks, knives and spoons
- Farm raised salmon
8 Body Care Toxins to Avoid:
- Mercury - also avoid the mercury preservative "thimerosal"
- Lead - listed as "lead acetate"
- Hydroquinone skin lightener
- Petroleum by-products (ex. 1,4-dioxane)
Please click here for more information on Personal Care Products
10 Corporations to Avoid:
- Exxon Mobil
- General Motors
- Shell Petroleum
adapted from Green America May 2009
Please click here for a downloadable copy of Green America's Guide to Fair Trade
For more information, or any questions, please email email@example.com or call 316.684.6597